Monday, October 24, 2005

Lots of pointless music questions

I rarely do these meme things, simply because they’re so silly, but I figure, “Hey, it’s either this or the Astros,” and I really doubt you folks want to hear all my belly-aching about the World Series. So here’s a musical meme snagged from Byzantium’s Shores.
Favorite Beatles song: "A Day in the Life"

Favorite solo song by a former Beatle: "My Brave Face" by McCartney. If he’s recorded it 10 years earlier, it would’ve been the biggest hit of his solo career. As it is, everyone had already written him off as irrelevant. He should write more stuff with Costello...

Favorite Rolling Stones song: “Start Me Up”

Favorite Bob Dylan song: "Tweeter and the Monkey Man” (technically at Traveling Wilburys song, but I’ve never been much of a Dylan fan)

Favorite Pixies song: Couldn’t name a one.

Favorite Prince song: Wow. So many to choose from. for being a certifiable head case, the man’s a musical genius. Maybe “The Grind” from The Black Album. Or “Thieves in the Temple.” I’ve always been partial to his obscure tracks, like “Erotic City” and “Housequake” as well.

Favorite Michael Jackson song: "Billie Jean" This is, of course, dating me to a time where Jackson seemed a somewhat normal human being as opposed to a Smeagol-like psychotic.

Favorite Metallica song: This would be an oxymoron.

Favorite Public Enemy song: Not a fan.

Favorite Depeche Mode song: Even tho their music is part of the soundtrack to my high school and college years, I never liked them much. Techno and disco are too closely related for my comfort. That said, their remake of “Route 66” wasn’t bad.

Favorite Cure song: “Love Cats”

Favorite song that most of your friends haven’t heard: "Rainy Day in June" by The Kinks.

Favorite Beastie Boys song: "Brass Monkey"

Favorite Police song: "Walking in Your Footsteps"

Favorite Sex Pistols song: Not a clue.

Favorite song from a movie: “Gimme Some Lovin’” from The Blues Brothers, but you can’t go wrong with any song on that album.

Favorite Blondie song: "Heart of Glass"

Favorite Genesis song: "ABACAB"

Favorite Led Zeppelin song: "Immigrant Song"

Favorite INXS song: “Tiny Daggers”

Favorite Weird Al song: “Yoda”

Favorite Pink Floyd song: "Fearless"

Favorite cover song: “Take Me to the River” by the Talking Heads

Favorite dance song: Honestly, I still have no clue as to what constitutes a “Dance” song.

Favorite U2 song: "Vertigo"

Favorite disco song: "Disco Inferno" makes me smile, because it brings to mind “Disco Demolition Night” at Comiskey Park... Damn! there’s another World Series reference!

Favorite The Who song: "Who Are You?"

Favorite Elton John song: "Sad Songs"

Favorite Clash song: “Rock the Casbah”

Favorite David Bowie song: “Day In, Day Out”

Favorite Nirvana song: Not a Nirvana fan.

Favorite Snoop Dogg song: I couldn’t name a Snoop Dog song if you put a gun to my head.

Favorite Ice Cube song: Does NWA count? Sorry, still can’t name one. He’s a pretty good actor, tho.

Favorite Johnny Cash song: Geeze, this is even worse than picking a Prince song. "(Ghost) Riders in the Sky" is the easy, and obvious choice. And it’s awesome. But I’ve always been partial to “One Piece at a Time” since I remember hearing it on the radio way back when it originally charted. And “Frankie’s Man, Johnny,” is just a great song, and incredibly sad piece of storytelling.

Favorite R.E.M. song: I’m very tempted to put down "It’s the End of the World as We Know It,” since that’s the song that got me into R.E.M., but I’ll have to go with “Exhuming McCarthy" which works at every level for me.

Favorite Elvis song: "All Shook Up"

Favorite cheesy-ass country song: "London Homesick Blues" by Jerry Jeff Walker. But I don’t get the “cheesy-ass” qualifier.

Favorite Billy Joel song: "The Stranger"

Favorite Bruce Springsteen song: "Dancing in the Dark”

Favorite Big Audio Dynamite song: Never got into them.

Favorite New Order song: See my entry to Depeche Mode. Besides, every song they released sounded exactly alike.

Favorite Neil Diamond song: I actually forced myself to listen to Lisa’s “Neil Diamond’s Greatest Hits” on the road trip to Conestoga, just to see what all the fuss was about. Won’t make that mistake again.

Favorite Squeeze song: I hate memes where the writer has obviously gotten sloppy, such as here--do they mean the little-known U.S. band known as Squeeze, or the much more popular Brit group usually known as Squeeze U.K.? I’m guessing the latter, in which case my answer is “Hourglass.”

Favorite Smiths song: For a second I thought this was for the Smithereens, and got excited. As it is, I have no favorite Smiths song.

Favorite Tragically Hip song: Always suspected I’d really enjoy this Canuck group. Somehow never got around to listening to them.

Wow, that’s it? Amazing that I got through the whole thread without once referencing Falco...

Now Playing: Manheim Steamroller Halloween Monster Mix

No comments:

Post a Comment