Wednesday, June 19, 2013

134/365: Fruit press

So, The Wife got me a Ferrari fruit press for Christmas. Yes, I'm a little late acknowledging it, but it's an awesome fruit press, stainless steel and the perfect size for my needs. I didn't get to use it right away because of my ill-conceived foray back into collegiate coursework last semester, but once that was out of the way I broke it out in a big way. Last fall my moonglow pear tree produced a lot of sweet and flavorful pears, but most were too small to bother with eating. So I froze them to break down their cells and then sent them to the fruit press. Crushing and juicing four gallons worth of pears isn't terribly easy, but when you're single-minded obsessive like I can be, it is rewarding.

fruit press, pears, 365 photo project, Lisa On Location photography, San Marcos, New Braunfels, San Antonio, Austin

Camera: Canon 7D
Lens: Tamron 28-75mm 2.8

And here's the result. Four gallons of whole pears isn't terribly juicy--I ultimately got half a gallon of juice. But that was enough to blend with some racked mead to make a kind of perry melomel. These pears aren't actual perry pears with high tannins, acid and tartness, but they do have good flavor so we'll see what develops. I didn't use a strainer bag when pressing them, so some particulates made it into the juice. Still, that's some pretty looking liquid, isn't it?

fruit press, pears, 365 photo project, Lisa On Location photography, San Marcos, New Braunfels, San Antonio, Austin

Camera: Canon 7D
Lens: Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
Lisa On Location

Now Playing: Rush Chronicles
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment