Wednesday, June 26, 2013

144/365: Baby chameleon

Yes, I know they're technically green anoles, but I grew up calling them chameleons and still do to this day. Hard to argue with their color changes!

I first saw this little guy last week, hanging out in a potted plant on the front porch. He's a tiny hatchling, barely more than an inch long--I don't think I've ever seen one this small. He's wary, though, vanishing before I've been able to get my camera. Last night, however, I found him sleeping on a leaf, oblivious to my spying. I was able to get several shots before the confused guy woke up fully, then shut off all the lights and let him go back to sleep. Our bushes and thick passion vines around the house are a haven for the little lizards (there's an adult male displaying his red throat outside my window right now) and I like having them around. They remind me of my childhood, when I used to catch them for fun. It's amazing how large a moth these little guys can eat!

baby chameleon green anole macro, lisa on location photography, 365 photo project, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Austin, San Antonio

This bonus shot shows how sleepy he was. I've gotten this same exact look from The Wife some mornings...

baby chameleon green anole macro, lisa on location photography, 365 photo project, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Austin, San Antonio

Camera: Canon 7D
Lens: Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Lisa On Location

Now Playing: Miles Davis The Complete Birth of the Cool
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment