Tuesday, May 18, 2004

I'm too tired to think of a witty header

Made a pilgrimmage to College Station today, to plunder the Science Fiction and Fantasy Research Collection at Texas A&M. Two-plus hours to drive there, two-plus to drive back, with an additional six sitting cloistered at a table scribbling notes and ordering photocopies of particularly interesting articles. This was my last big research push for the encyclopedia entries, and I'm happy to say I've got more sources that my bibliography can hold. The Clifford Simak issue of the old, defunct Lan's Lantern fanzine was of particular interest. The editor and publisher, George Laskowski, died back in 1999 of pancreatic cancer. His nickname was "Lan" because he was a huge Green Lantern fan. Kinda explains the fanzine title, huh? He won the Hugo Award twice, which is an impressive feat. All the interesting things you run across while doing research can hopelessly sidetrack a person. For instance, I discovered a while back that the Alkek Library at Texas State has a mostly-complete run of Algol, a 'zine that I didn't even know existed before then. Now, of course, I have an uncontrollable urge to dig through them and read every single one...

Now Playing: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

No comments:

Post a Comment