Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Veteran of the billboard wars...

I saw these billboards last week when I was driving through SA. And I have to admit, my first thought was "Hoo boy. That's not going to play well." That, of course, being billboards promoting the NBA playoffs on TNT, featuring huge pictures of New Jersey's Jason Kidd and LA's Shaquille O'Neal. Those two characters being the Spurs' main nemesae (oh geeze, it that even close to being correct?) during the playoffs last season. Plus, the fact that Shaq played high school basketball here, yet goes out of his way to insult the city every chance he gets... well, he's not all that popular a character.

I was right about the can of worms being opened. WOAI--both the TV and radio stations--took up the slight as a holy crusade. Today, they claimed victory as related in this story Don's Extra Point: TNT Fixes Billboards and as evidenced by the image:



Personally, I think this is just what this series needs. Nothing goes with an on-court donnybrook quite like an off-court brou-ha-ha.

Now Playing: Spurs pregame show WOAI-AM 1200

No comments:

Post a Comment