Thursday, August 19, 2004

Autumnal moment

Unseasonably cool weather greeted me this morning at work. It's heavily overcast, so it's cool (low 70s) and humid. There's a pleasant breeze blowing across the university. And--here's the kicker--a cedar elm in the parking lot is happily shedding its leaves. Little golden-brown leaves flutter down happily, collecting and massing along the sidewalk leading to my building's entrance. The barn swallow nest above the door is empty, the fledglings taking wing sometime over the last day or so. If I didn't have a calendar to tell me it's still mid-August, I'd swear it was late September, or maybe even October. And thundershowers are expected again today. Such strange weather we're having this year!

Now Playing: Melissa Etheridge Melissa Etheridge

No comments:

Post a Comment