Monday, August 09, 2004

Busy weekend

A lot of things came to a head over the weekend, and somehow I managed to deal with each item in turn. Firstly, the signing sheets for the limited-edition hardback of Postscripts 2 came in, which meant I had the pleasure of scrawling my name maybe 200 times. As I did so, it dawned on me that while my signature for "Jayme" is actually fairly legible, "Lynn" and "Blaschke" are actually incomprehensible. My hand just made jerking motions for those words, rather than forming distinct letters. Even when I consciously tried to sign my name properly with all the letters clearly defined, the jerky scribble remained. Sheesh. Maybe I should just sign things "Jayme" from now on and be done with it?

Paul Dini's corrected and revised interview arrived in the mail as well. Paul's an interesting fellow. You'd think that a guy writing so many funny cartoons would crack wise a lot, but no, he takes his work very seriously. Answered every question with a straight face. Even the goofy, obscure questions I posed dealing with his work on the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. Still, he's a fun guy to chat with, and I wish I had the opportunity to do so more often. It's a fun interview, and I managed to get all the revisions made and formatting completed for web publications. Part 1 should go up on RevSF by the end of the week.

Lois Bujold also got back to me with her interview revisions as well. Mostly little typos and mis-hearings, as usual. A particularly enjoyable interview, because even though it took place "between books" it has a lot of relevant information on the direction both her Chalion and Vorkosigan series may take in the future. So instead of shilling the latest publication, it gives a solid, broad overview of her career. When we conducted this interview back at ConDFW, we sequestered ourselves in a semi-quiet section of the hospitality suite. By the end of the interview, I realized the room had grown deathly quiet. I looked up and a sizeable crowd had grown, some lining the walls and others in chairs with their backs to us leaning back as far as they could in order to hear the interview better. I know that the audience's rapt attention is more because of Lois' answers than my questions, but I take that as a sign of a good interview. In any event, the revisions were noted and the revised package was shipped off to Postscripts, hopefully for inclusion in the third issue if they find it of decent quality.

I knocked out a review of Identity Crisis no. 2 for the Comics Reviewlution feature at RevolutionSF.

I wrote several pages of revisions to rules and amendments to the covenant of the homeowners association we belong to by virture of living in our current subdivision. An activity which is almost, but not quite, as much fun as extracting teeth using only a ballpeen hammer and a rusty crowbar. You'll have to trust me on this one.

And I also have a stack of manuscripts to read before Armadillocon begins on Friday. That whole writers' workshop thing, which for some bizarre reason I'm one of the instructors. I still have to write up all my comments once I finish reading everything. I kind of wonder what value my input will have--I'm a whiz at writing stuff that almost sells to major markets every time out, but somehow I doubt that's what the participants have signed up to the workshop for.

Now Playing: Billy Joel 2000 Years--The Millenium Concert

No comments:

Post a Comment