Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The return of "Rice and Assault"

Yet again I prove my preternatural ability to almost sell stories to any market I choose. After a one-week turnaround, Gordon Van Gelder has politely declined purchase of "The Year of Rice and Assault" for the august pages of Fantasy & Science Fiction. Which I more than halfway suspected would be the case before I sent this one out (does a market actually exist for this one? I kinda doubt it).

Gordon did find the central premise of the story clever, but not clever enough to hold the entire thing together, alas. He also adds that while the title is clever (that word again) it may mislead potential readers to suspect they're about to get a Kim Stanley Robinson parody, which this most certainly isn't. This problem did occur to me quite a while back, but damned if I can't come up with a decent alternative.

No matter. The story goes out in the mail tomorrow to Asimov's. If Sheila Williams wants to buy it, I'll be more than happy to let her rename it anything she wants.

Now Playing: The Kinks Misfits

No comments:

Post a Comment