Thursday, March 24, 2005

&#@%! IMAX

I was dismayed to see this story on CNN.ccom about how IMAX theatres are refusing to show a new film, Volcanoes of the Deep Sea, because it makes reference to evolution.
IMAX theaters in several Southern cities have decided not to show a film on volcanoes out of concern that its references to evolution might offend those with fundamental religious beliefs.

"We've got to pick a film that's going to sell in our area. If it's not going to sell, we're not going to take it," said Lisa Buzzelli, director of an IMAX theater in Charleston that is not showing the movie. "Many people here believe in creationism, not evolution."

Texas, to my horror (but sadly, not to my surprise) was one of the states listed where the film was being blacklisted. So immediately I emailed my local IMAX at the San Antonio Rivercenter Mall, asking when they would be showing it. I just received a somewhat evasive, non-committal reply from Caren Myers that leads me to believe San Antonio is one of those fact and reality are deemed too threatening for the fundamentalist patrons that make up such a large segment of the IMAX audience:
We play films based on what our patrons want to see.

I pointed out to her that I am a patron, and I want to see it--or at least have the opportunity to see it if I so choose--but somehow I doubt that will have much influence here. Once again, the religious right has succeeded in imposing its will on those who do not share their rigid worldview. These morons are so narrow-minded a fly could take a dump in both of their eyes at the same time. Am I pissed? Is the pope Catholic?

Now Playing: Pink Floyd Staying Home to Watch the Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment