Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Happy Duan Wu Jie!

I don't know how this one snuck up on me, but today's the Chinese Dragon Boat Festival!
Officially on falling on the fifth day of the fifth lunar month, the Dragon Boat Festival is also known as Double Fifth Day. While many stories regarding its origin abound, the most popular and widely accepted version regards Qu Yuan, a minister during the Warring States Period (475 - 221 BC).

And who was this Qu Yuan, and why does he merit such a spiffy holiday held in his honor?
Qu Yuan served as minister to the Zhou Emperor. A wise and articulate man, he was loved by the common people. He did much to fight against the rampant corruption that plagued the court-- thereby earning the envy and fear of other officials. Therefore, when he urged the emperor to avoid conflict with the Qin Kingdom, the officials pressured the Emperor to have him removed from service. In exile, he traveled, taught and wrote for several years. Hearing that the Zhou had been defeated by the Qin, he fell into despair and threw himself into the Milou River. His last poem reads:

Many a heavy sigh I have in my despair,
Grieving that I was born in such an unlucky time.
I yoked a team of jade dragons to a phoenix chariot,
And waited for the wind to come,
to sour up on my journey


As he was so loved by the people, fishermen rushed out in long boats, beating drums to scare the fish away, and throwing zong zi into the water to feed braver fish so that they would not eat Qu Yuan's body.

This probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: Who knew?

Now Playing: Aerosmith Golden Rocks

1 comment:

  1. Qin kingdom?
    And what's about my "Amadeo Modigliani"?

    thanks,

    ReplyDelete