Thursday, May 04, 2006

Parental pause

The ditch at the rear of our subdivision is still full of tadpoles. The girls like heading over there whenever they get a chance.

So the other day I'm there with Calista, and we see some tiny tadpoles, obviously just a day or so hatched from the egg. Calista surmises that the eggs were laid fairly recently, and laments "I wish I could've seen the frogs humping."

Humping!?

"What did you say?" I ask in a neutral voice, disbelieving what just came out of my 7-year-old's mouth.

"Humping. You know, Dad. Mating? That's what it's called," she answers me in a tone clearly indicative of exasperation at having to explain everything to her brain-addled father.

A little later, when the neighborhood kids weren't around, we had a little discussion about how "humping" is probably not the most socially acceptable description of anuran reproduction. I suppose I should be grateful she's not tossing off the F-bomb...

Now Playing: Peter Gabriel So

No comments:

Post a Comment