Friday, November 24, 2006

12-7

I feel my son, Orion, is particularly blessed to live in a world in which the Aggies have never lost to the tea-sips during his lifetime. That may change next year, but I sure hope not.

I'm still basking in the glow of today's 12-7 win in Austin, so I won't complain about Coach Fran's play calling too much. When the defense you're playing is as porous against the pass as the sips are, one would think that the offensive game plan would call for mixing it up a little by, I dunno, throwing downfield once in a while. Still, it's damn hard to argue with 244 rushing yards against the nation's top-ranked rushing defense. And the Aggie defense showed signs of the Wrecking Crew of old.

One ugly spot I'd be remiss if I didn't address. A&M defensive tackle Kellen Heard blindsided t.u. QB Colt McCoy late in the fourth quarter following an interception. The play was completely over, and McCoy--I kid you not--was taking off his helmet when Heard nailed him from behind. Even if the play was still live, that'd be an illegal hit. Heard was responsible for several other penalties during the day, and it's pretty obvious he was out of control out there. No only did that nonsense damn near cost A&M a shot at the win, but more importantly it could've really hurt someone. I'm glad the refs ejected Heard, but now Fran needs to show that crap won't be tolerated by suspending him, and leave him sitting at home while the team flies off to sunny San Diego for the Holiday Bowl.

Now Playing: Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:44 AM

    Heard "could've hurt" someone? I think it's pretty obvious he did... kudos for calling him out, though, and calling for his suspension from the bowl game. I think he ought to sit out a game or two next season as well, to drive the point home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. McCoy wasn't knocked out of the game by Heard's hit. DE Michael Bennett hit McCoy on the next series--a killer blow to the right breast/shoulder area a split second after McCoy released the ball. That's the same place McCoy suffered a pinched nerve against K-State, and the hit re-aggravated the injury. Bennett's hit was clean, but ugly--after Heard's stupidity, though, it looked worse than it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moan. Whine. Gripe. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete