Monday, March 11, 2013

48/365: Sundew

We had a big project due in Traditional Photography II Thursday. Inspired by the images of Karl Blossfeldt, I decided to try my hand at fine art-style macro images with my Elan 7ne. Since it was a film class, it was quite challenging. I'm happy to report that my set of images received positive reviews from all concerned, which is the first good thing that's happened to me this week. So, yay.

I did take test shots with my Canon 7D digital SLR. I'm sharing those outtakes here. This one is a macro shot of an Asian sundew. The film shot I turned in was quite dramatic, with strong directional lighting creating an alien, high-contrast image. It was seriously cool. The color version doesn't quite stack up, but does have the advantage of revealing the red tips to the tentacle appendages, which aren't visible to the human eye. Really, macro is cool. This little leaf was maybe half an inch long in real life...

Asian sundew macro, Karl Blossfledt, Lisa on Location Photography, New Braunfels, San Antonio, Austin

Camera: Canon 7D
Lens: Canon EF 100mm 2.8 macro with Vivitar 2x telextender

Now Playing: Pink Floyd A Saucerful of Secrets
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment