Monday, November 07, 2005

It is... DONE!

My office bookshelf project is finished. Complete. Done. Let the celebrations begin! The genesis of this massive undertaking of lumberish reconfigurement dates back to 1999, when we still lived in Temple and my office consisted of a converted garage, a conversion which was badly-designed and executed by the home's previous owners. From a practical standpoint, the real work in our current New Braunfels home began in May, with various bits of progress reported on in June and August. Phase one was completed back in September, which consisted of fully closing off the office from the rest of the house. Below is the before pic of how the future office once looked from the living room, and an after pic of how it looks today (don't mind the piano):



It's a big change, but not nearly as big as what conspired within the office walls. Below is a before and after comparison looking from one corner of the room across to the opposite one. For reference, the doors are to the right:



And here are a couple of shots from the doorway. I'm not kidding you folks, I almost started crying the other night after I got the final books up on the shelves (which took a couple of days to manage, I might add). It's warm. It's inviting. It's a glorious wall of books that surrounds and comforts me when I'm in the throes of writing passion.



This is what I've been wanting for years, and why I visibly cringed every time my family members (re: my father) said I should just whip out some bookshelves using "2x4s and cinder blocks." Actually, that's not true. This isn't what I've been wanting, but there wasn't room to install a rolling ladder and track around the ceiling. A carpenter with intermediate skills at best can only do so much.

Now Playing: Dresden Symphonic Orchestra Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 "Choral"

2 comments:

  1. An enviable workspace. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:29 PM

    I an SO jealous! *Beautiful* job, Jayme!!! Lucky you - no I take that back: You DESERVE it! You worked hard and did wonderful work. Your lucky BOOKS, yeah!


    Terry (from the RM)

    ReplyDelete