Saturday, March 09, 2013

47/365: Pitcher plant

We had a big project due in Traditional Photography II Thursday. Inspired by the images of Karl Blossfeldt, I decided to try my hand at fine art-style macro images with my Elan 7ne. Since it was a film class, it was quite challenging. I'm happy to report that my set of images received positive reviews from all concerned, which is the first good thing that's happened to me this week. So, yay.

I did take test shots with my Canon 7D digital SLR. I'm sharing those outtakes here. This one is a macro shot of an Asian pitcher plant. This one turned out strong both on black and white film as well as digital. The B&W print has nice tonality and fine detail, but I have to say I prefer the rich colors here. This was by far my largest subject for this project--the pitcher, one of the smaller on my plant--measured roughly 1.5 inches long, more than twice the length of the flytrap and way bigger than the 1/8-inch passion flower seed. Macro comes in all sizes.

Venus flytrap macro, Karl Blossfledt, Lisa on Location Photography, New Braunfels, San Antonio, Austin

Camera: Canon 7D
Lens: Canon EF 100mm 2.8 macro with Vivitar 2x telextender

Now Playing: Ray Charles and the Count Basie Orchestra Ray Sings, Basie Swings
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment