Thursday, June 23, 2005

Reviewing Howl

For those of you interested in a more verbose elaboration of my assessment of Howl's Moving Castle, you'll be happy to know that my over-written review is now online at RevolutionSF:
The movie opens with the eponymous castle of the title parting the mists of the Waste in a simple, yet breathtaking introduction. The castle doesn’t do anything in this opening sequence but move, but boy, how it moves! A complex conglomerate of disparate parts working together in a frenzy of kinetic energy, the castle is almost Rube Goldbergian in its complexity, setting the stage nicely for the rich tale of magic to come.

Of course, it's not until now that I realize I've used "complex" and "complexity" in the same sentence. Boy, I really suck as a writer sometimes. Just substitute "convoluted" or "multi-faceted" in there somewhere and it should come out okay.

Now Playing: The Vaughan Brothers Family Style

No comments:

Post a Comment