Friday, September 17, 2004

Birthday recap

The girls had a "surprise" party prepped for me when I got home yesterday--with streamers and such decorating the front door--so I was obligated to act suitably surprised when they jumped out from behind the furniture. The cake had far too many candles, giving off the heat of a small blast furnace, and to top it off the candles were the ones with sparkler wicks that simply refuse to go out when you blow. Great fun for all. Keela (the youngest who got me the infamous Supergirl panties for Father's Day) gave be a big bag of candy corn, proudly informing me that they were "carrots." The girl loves her vegetables, eh? Calista got me a shirt she picked out herself, and it's pretty obvious she has more fasion sense than I ever did. Lisa got me the Wonder Woman season 1 DVD boxed set. The girls, predictably, are going nuts over it, wearing tiaras and spinning around like dervishes. It's been years since I last watched the show, and I'd forgotten how cornball it was. The acting is marginal and the plots paper thin. But Wonder Woman fights Nazis every episode, and you've got to love that. And there's such a gosh-darn earnestness to the series that makes it loveable despite its faults. I found myself sitting through all the episodes watched so far with a goofy grin on my face. And, as expected, the girls went through the roof when Wonder Girl made her appearance.

Seriously, in the entirety of super-hero casting, has a better move ever been made than to make Linda Carter Wonder Woman? I mean, yeah, Tobey Maguire is close to perfect as Peter Parker and Christopher Reeve is downright iconic as Superman, but neither of them come close to filling out a bustier like Carter. Paradise Island, indeed.

Now Playing: James Horner The Rocketeer

No comments:

Post a Comment