Thursday, September 09, 2004

There is nothing--NOTHING--you can't find on the web

So I'm doing some online research on that classic of Japanese cinema, King Kong Escapes, for a story I figure to be starting on in a week or so (hey, nobody can accuse me of not going the extra mile for my fiction) when I stumbled across this:

Gorgosaurus, King Kong, Mecha Kong


Is that cool or what? It's a diorama, customized from several hard-to-find resin model kits from Bandai. The artist, Matt Evangelista, documents the process with a variety of photos on the site. And what a site it is. Look at this one:

Mothra Larva, Anguillas, Godzilla


There are scores of incredibly detailed vinyl and resin models displayed at the site, which is, to the best of my reckoning, a sort of Japanese Kaiju Museum created and maintained by fans of the giant monster genre. I was quite surprised at how much Ultraman content the site has. Many of the giant monsters are unfamiliar to me, which leads me to believe that they are mostly Ultraman opponents from the weekly TV series run in the U.S. back in the 70s (think Power Rangers without the teenagers and animal-themed robots). There are a good deal of Toho's Godzilla-related creations represented as well, but it was somewhat odd the complete lack of Gamera characters. Sure, many of the Gamera films were bad, even by giant monster movie standards, but the designs were interesting, and I'd have expected someone to work up something at least for the three recent Gamera films. Enjoy!

Now Playing: The Monkees Then and Now... The Best of the Monkees

No comments:

Post a Comment