Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Sky Captain redux

Went to see "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" again last night, with the family. Lisa wanted to see it with me the first time, but Calista and Keela opted for "Princess Diaries 2" instead. Regal Cinemas in San Antonio was offering free tickets with a donation of food to the local food bank, so we took a bunch of boxes of mac & cheese and got in pretty darn cheap. It was a madhouse. Half the city seemed to have turned out to take advantage.

I actually enjoyed the movie more this time than the first time I saw it. I wasn't as stressed with the urge to not miss anything. I just let it wash over me, and was able to enjoy a lot of subtle touches and details that got lost in the sensory overload the first time around. It's still not a perfect film. I'm not even sure if it's in my top 10, but I enjoyed the heck out of it. Lisa liked it too, saying it was a lot of fun. Calista wasn't sure if she liked it or not, as there was a distinct lack of child protagonists and talking animals in the film. She did allow that it was exciting, and thought the scenes where the air planes convert to submarines and go underwater were "cool." Keela fell asleep.

As we were leaving, two men ahead of us were complaining that it was a dumb film, and that the folks waiting to get in to the next showing shouldn't waste their time. Some people Just Don't Get It, and it's pretty clear you can't reach them. But it's still sad that a film as fun and original as Sky Captain is struggling so at the box office.

Now Playing: The Rutles The Rutles

No comments:

Post a Comment