Friday, September 10, 2004

Wither Brutarian?

Aw, man. This is not what I wanted to hear today:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE --

BRUTARIAN QUARTERLY is now, as of 9 September 2004, defunct as a
professional entity and is reverting to its original self-published
amateur status. Fiction Editor and Art Director Gene Stewart will no
longer be associated with the publication.

The Summer 2004 issue is gravely in question.

Anyone who had a submission accepted for publication in a future issue
should consider any and all agreements null and void and are free to take
their work elsewhere.

The slush pile has been purged and no further correspondence will be
accepted. The web presence is gone, too.

Anyone who has not heard from BQ can assume their submissions are free to
be sent elsewhere.

Please remove BQ from all market listings.

**************************

Gene Stewart

To put this in context, Gene emailed me on Tuesday asking if I might have an interview nearing completion they could use in the autumn issue of the magazine. I replied that I had a Jacqueline Carey one that hadn't been transcribed yet, but then pointed out they still haven't run my Peter David interview even though they accepted it almost a year back. And now this.

I find myself wondering if this is, perhaps, a personality clash. Or a business partnership blowup. Dom Salemi's the publisher, and if he and Gene came to loggerheads, well, I can imagine the breakup would be abrupt. Gene's terse, bridge-burning departing statements could be interpreted as such. Note that he pointedly didn't say Brutarian is defunct alltogether. Just as a "professional" market. I'll have to poke around a bit and see if I can get some clarification on the situation.

Now Playing: Mel McDaniel Stand Up

No comments:

Post a Comment