Friday, September 24, 2004

Jayme vs. Ivan

Right now I'm in the midst of readying this week's fiction for posting on RevSF, which will be the conclusion of our "Herman Melville Month." It's a good deal of fun, but the coding is tedious.

After that, I'll be hitting the web to do some more preliminary research for my "Giants" and "Insects" encyclopedia entries. Mostly that entails identifying articles and essays from various sources, so I can make the most of my limited time at Texas A&M's Science Fiction and Fantasy Collection at the Cushing Library tomorrow. Which I'm certain will be great fun, as the undead hurricane Ivan should be spawning significant rainfall in the area of College Station at the time of my visitation.

Other than the hurricane, this trip should actually go more smoothly than my last encyclopedia-driven trek. Mainly because I got smart and figured out that both Extrapolation and Science Fiction Studies have online sites with extensive indexes. Those are the preeminent academic journals dealing with science fiction and fantasy theory, criticism and research. To further improve upon matters, I've discovered that Science Fiction Studies has archived almost the entirety of its content online for easy access. Joy! Bliss! There's fascinating reading in there, but had I figured this out a few months back, it would've saved me a great deal of extra effort.

Now Playing: ZZ Top Antenna

No comments:

Post a Comment