Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Astros: Dare I believe?

The game's about to start against the Disliked Braves (not to be confused with the Hated Mets of '86) and I want to believe Roger Clemens and Roy Oswalt and Brad Lidge can shut down Atlanta's bats. I really do. Even though Atlanta has knocked Houston out of the playoffs more times than I care to count. But the Astros look like a Team of Destiny this time, entering the playoffs as the hottest team in baseball.

Of course, that doesn't explain my growing unease of the fact this team reminds me of the '86 Astros: Namely, two dominant pitchers in Clemens and Oswalt today versus Nolan Ryan and Mike Scott 18 years ago. That series is still painful, and the Mets still Hated. Here's hoping history does not repeat itself, as I can't stomach any more 14-inning nailbiters.

Now Playing: The Kinks Low Budget

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:18 PM

    Wow. I never would've expected the Astros to beat the Braves like a second-hand snare drum, but sure enough, they banged out nine big ones in a first-game blowout. And Clemens didn't even have his good stuff today. Gives me hope for the series, yes it does.

    Now, let's see how this anonymous posting works.

    ReplyDelete