Monday, October 18, 2004

A homer in the bottom of the 9th to win!

What can I say? Jeff Kent's da man!

I was strangely calm this entire game. Both pitchers were throwing lights-out, but I felt the Astros had the momentum going their way the entire game. Don't ask me why. I knew the 'Stros would win this one with certainty--my only uncertainty was in which inning the winning run would score. After the Red Sox and Yankees went into extra innings, I kinda felt that the Astros would end up in extra frames as well. Not to worry. You simply don't want to piss Jeff Kent off by intentionally walking the guy in front of him, nevermind that Kent often hits into double plays.
Game 6 will be back in St. Louis on Wednesday, with Matt Morris starting for St. Louis. Roger Clemens may pitch on three days' rest for the Astros -- manager Phil Garner said he will announce his choice on Tuesday's off-day.

I dunno if quick-starting Clemens is a good move. At this point, with two chances to close things out, the wisest course of action may be to go ahead and start Pete Munro and hope for the best, saving Clemens to start--with full rest--a possible game 7 with Oswalt ready for middle relief. If you start Clemens in gam 6 and lose, then you've got a tired Oswalt up in the crucial game 7 with a shakey bullpen. Bad strategy there. In any event, up 3-2 in the series, I feel pretty darn good about Houston's chances Wednesday in St. Louis. Wouldn't you?

Now Playing: Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra The Best of Mozart vol. 1

1 comment: