Thursday, April 25, 2013

86/365: Red yucca

Sometimes working on this Karl Blossfeldt-inspired project utterly consumed me. Consider this dessicated red yucca seed pod--I caught a glimpse of it from the corner of my eye driving across campus one day, and instantly thought it'd make a great photo subject. But I was driving, so I immediately put it out of my mind. Except it wouldn't go. So I ended up turning around and collecting the brittle stalk (it wasn't easy to get to, actually) and photographing it a few days later. I'd seen a lot of red yucca seed pods, since the plant is popular around here in xerescaping, but none of them grabbed me like this one.

During the critique of the final project, my prof said (and I paraphrase) that I should be taking my work--this project, specifically--to art galleries in the region and trying to get them to show. Which is extremely flattering and a great bit of ego-boo, but internally I know better. I look at the final project (which isn't at all bad, I'll allow) and see all the flaws and mistakes from shooting, developing and printing that I've made which relegates my work to the minor leagues of fine art photography. But then I look at one of my rare pieces like this red yucca, and a little voice inside my head goes, "Yeah, he may be on to something."

365 photo project, macro red yucca seed pod, Lisa On location photography. New Braunfels, Austin, San Marcos, San Antonio. Karl Blossfeldt

Camera: Canon Elan 7ne
Film: Kodak T-Max 400
Lens: Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Lisa On Location Photography

Now Playing: The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment