Wednesday, May 08, 2013

103/365: New kid in town

Yesterday I said farewell to my Canon Rebel XTi, a dependable little workhorse camera we had converted to infrared almost two years back. Today, I introduce the XTi's replacement: A Canon 50D, converted to 720nm infrared by LifePixel, the same folks who converted the XTi. The upgrade is, well, nice. Better noise control and higher ISOs. Larger file sizes (photographers often gripe about the megapixel wars--for good reason--but in some cases bigger is indeed better). A more robust build. Better (and faster) autofocus. Live View (which I normally don't like, but it really helps nail focus with quirky lenses such as the EF-S 10-22mm). I have created some stellar infrared images with this camera, which I'll be sharing here shortly. Just about the only downside to it is the baffling fact that Canon chose to make the 50D incompatible with their simple remote that works with pretty much every other camera body in their lineup. In fact, as far as I can tell, Canon makes no remote for the 50D, which explains the odd, aftermarket Phottix remote attached to the hotshoe in this image. Still, despite that one shortcoming, I expect the 50D will acquit itself very well in the coming years... at least until we get the 5D mark II converted.

macro, Canon 50D, 365, Lisa On Location Photography, New Braunfels, San Antonio, San Marcos, Austin

Camera: Canon 7D
Lens: Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
Lisa On Location

Now Playing: The Kinks Word of Mouth
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment