Tuesday, May 21, 2013

What's a sex worker to do when she can't get Linked In?

File this one under the "You Knew It Was Coming" department: Online business networking site LinkedIn has banned brothels and prostitutes from using its site. Now, you may say, "This is a no-brainer! Prostitution is illegal!" which is true... except where it's not, such as Nevada, Germany, Colombia, etc. And that has legal sex workers a little ticked off.

[Dennis] Hof goes on to say that the ban is inappropriate because prostitution is largely legal in Nevada.

“LinkedIn has all of a sudden got morals and they decided that worldwide they want to take prostitution off their site. Well that’s great, but it’s legal here in Nevada in certain places.”

Christie Summers, a college graduate who works as a “Bunny” at the ranch, is equally outraged at the decision.

“I don’t think its very fair because I do this legally. I graduated from the University of Michigan recently and I do this legally. I get tested every week and I work hard,” said Summers, whose profile was also removed.
Nothing against Christie Summers, since I don't know her and have never heard of her before, but Dennis Hof is hardly a paragon of moral virtue. He's the owner of the Moonlite Bunny Ranch in Nevada, which was the location of the HBO reality series "Cathouse." And let me tell you, Hoff is so slimy the TV remote slipped from my hands whenever he was onscreen. If this were the 70s, he'd be one of those guys wearing an unbuttoned leisure suit with a big, ugly gold medallion dangling on his chest. Suffice to say, I'm not terribly bent out of shape about him getting booted from the site.

Still, had Linked In ruled the other way and allowed prostitution profiles to remain on their site if the profile was posted from areas where the practice remains legal, I can't help but chuckle at the hijinks that could ensue. Linked In has a feature called "Endorsements," where folks in your network and recommend you for proficiency in a certain skill set. For example, I have an array of endorsements for Publications, Editing, Journalism and Press Releases. Were prostitution allowed on the site, I can barely contain my laughter at the thought of recommendations for Fellatio, Around-The-World, Threesomes and goodness knows what else...

Now Playing: Earth, Wind and Fire The Eternal Dance
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment